Wednesday, April 14, 2010

DIY: Cricut Machine Signs

I am going to start featuring a new series called DIY. I am constantly doing projects both personally and for my business. So I thought it would be fun to share some of them.
Let me start of by introducing you to the Cricut Machine. "Cricut" meet the world. World meet the "Cricut". If you haven't heard about this most awesome machine ever then check it out here.Tony got me this machine with several cartridges and a cool storage bag for our first Christmas together back in 2006. He sure won me over that afternoon. He went to a lot of trouble to get it and I have to say he completely melted my heart. Every time I use it I think of him which is just an added bonus. It is funny how an inanimate object can put such a big smile on my face.

I got this DIY project idea when I looked around our laundry room and saw that it was in need of a facelift. Nothing too fancy but just something to liven things up a bit and get things organized. I decided to help keep me motivated in staying on top of the endless piles I would make cute little signs for each of the baskets I use to sort our laundry.
I chose a colorful polka dot 12x12 paper for the base of my signs and cut it into thirds. Then I punched 2 holes on each end for the ribbon. I then chose a solid matching cardstock which I used to cut out the letters in the Cricut Machine. I cut out letters on my Storybook Cartridge to spell "whites", "towels" and "darks".Then I used foam square adhesives to create a 3D look on the signs. Then I ran the ribbon through the 2 holes I punched out earlier on the sides and tied them to the baskets.Then I finally hung up all my cute laundry room antique decorations that have been sitting in a box adding to the clutter. The project only took me 45 minutes from start to finish including hanging up the decorations. The before and after made it look like a completely new room. Stayed tuned for my next project. I am working on a DIY Headboard project and my brothers wedding invitations. If you have any DIY projects you liked to share I would love to hear about them.

No comments: